Sports Pro 2020 list of the World’s Most Marketable Athletes powered by Nielson declares Argentine footballer Lionel Messi on the top spot. On the 2nd spot we have his rival, Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo. The Barcelona Forward star took on the Juventus Forward star on a very narrow ledge.
This list is powered by marketability assessment methodology. It is called the Influencer Selection and Measurement Framework, the methodology draws on vast amounts of social media data to generate an Athlete Influencer Score comprising four key data points: relevance, reach, return and resonance. SportsPro deputy editor Sam Carp picks out some of the key trends and storylines bubbling beneath the surface of this year’s rankings – and what they mean for the future of marketability.
American Basketball Legend LeBron James is right after Ronaldo on the list. We have our Indian Cricket team Captain Virat Kholi on the 4th spot and Rohit Sharma on the 8th. And they are the only Indians on the list. Canadian Tennis player Bianca Andreescu is on spot 5 and is also the only woman in the Top 10 set of influencers.
World’s 50 Most Marketable Athletes powered by Nielsen – the top ten:
- Lionel Messi – Argentinian, 33, Soccer (115)
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Portuguese, 35, Soccer (113)
- LeBron James – American, 35, Basketball (110)
- Virat Kohli – Indian, 31, Cricket (109)
- Bianca Andreescu – Canadian, 20, Tennis (107)
- Neymar Jr – Brazilian, 28, Soccer (107)
- Khabib Nurmagomedov – Russian, 32, MMA (106)
- Rohit Sharma – Indian, 33, Cricket (103)
- Mohamed Salah – Egyptian, 28, Soccer (103)
- Paulo Dybala – Argentinian, 26, Soccer (100)
In bracket is their Athlete Influencer Score.