It is 29 Years of Thalapathi today. Let’s look at 10 facts about the Diwali blockbuster.
1. This was Aravind Swamy’s debut film
2. Director Vishnuvardhan’s brother actor Krishna was chosen to play the Young Rajnikanth but his portion was scrapped because of the duration.
3. Thalapathi was the most expensive South Indian film at the time of it’s release.
4. The film was remade in Kannada in 2003 as Annavru with Ambareesh and Darshan in the lead.
5. This was a Diwali box office clash between Rajini and Kamal as Guna also released on the same day. Guna flopped while Thalapathi became a blockbuster.
6. This was the last collaboration between Ilayaraja and Mani Ratnam.
7. Jayaram was also in consideration to play Aravind Swamy’s role in the film.
8. This was Santosh Sivan’s first film with Mani Ratnam.
9. Amrish Puri played the main the film but his role was shot in just 5 days.
10. Rajnikanth won the filmfare award for Best actor for his role of Surya.